Parents are their children's first teachers. From the moment you become a parent, you are the most important teacher in your child's life. This is the foundation of our program.
Every child is unique. We realize that each child learns differently. CHEP believes in creating the best educational plan for each individual child. There is no "one size fits all" in our program.
Parents who wish to homeschool benefit from support. Each family at CHEP is assigned to a caring, credentialed teacher who will help you select curriculum and set academic goals, as well as help you gauge your child's progress. The CHEP teacher's role is to facilitate, support, and encourage. This teamwork has been the key to our program's success.
Family first. CHEP's independent study model supports the family by encouraging time together and valuing the role of the parent. Students in our program often have more time to spend with their families and
pursue other interests, while achieving academic growth and success.
The Community Home Education Program (CHEP) opened its doors on January 4, 1988, under the supervision of the Orange County Department of Education. Since that time, we have grown to three TK-8 sites and over 1000 students. Our partner school, Pacific Coast High School, is accredited by WASC and services grades 9-12. It is located in Tustin. For more information, visit their website at
What We Provide
- California standards-based curriculum options, including students’ and teachers’ textbooks, with the individual needs of the student in mind
- The partnership and support of a credentialed teacher who will help you create an individualized educational program for your student
- Online class options for 7th and 8th grade students
- Workshops, classes, and field trips for students
- Seminars and workshops for parents
- Special events and opportunities for socialization
- Standardized testing
- Computer labs at each site
- Music classes
- Legal accountability for parents choosing to educate their children at home
- And much, much more!