Orange County Department of Education Language Services offers a variety of trainings for school and district staff to enhance their on-the-job written translating and interpreting skills. Learn how to use your bi-literacy to aid parent conferences, Individualized Education Plans (IEPs), and/or other school-related activities. Speakers of various languages are welcome to register. No prior translation or interpretation experience is required.
What Every Interpreter/ Translator Should Know About Individualized Education Plans (IEPs)
- Acquire Special Education basic concepts
- Explore the needs of English learners with disabilities
- Experience protocols when translating for Special Education requests
- Understand legal implications and federal guidelines
- Learn about available resources
Interpreters' and Translators' Training
- Explore Culture, Value, and Beliefs
- Translators Skills and Responsibilities
- Techniques to become a better Interpreter/Translator
- Protocols During Interpretation
- Types of Meetings
- Supports for Interpreters/Translators
"How Multicultural Tolerance Strengthen Family Participation"
"Como la Tolerancia Cultural Fortalece la Participación Familiar". This training is in Spanish.
Participants will learn about dialects in different Spanish speaking countries enriching their daily vocabulary and strengthen interactions with parents, educators and administrators in a variety of educational contexts.
Practitioners' Tips Training
Interpreters/ Translators will be able to share strategies for:
- Simplifying translations
- Conveying clear and concise messages
- Improving the quality of translations
- Successfully supporting unique scenarios
- Translating the untranslatable
Click on the following links for Registration and Schedule Information: