OCDE Special Schools Program Philosophy and Mission Statement: It is the goal of the OCDE Special Schools Program to provide the most meaningful education program designed to meet each student’s individual needs. This goal emphasizes the teaching of skills that are aligned with California State Standards and are critical to the present and future needs of our students. Our philosophy is based on the following beliefs:
1) All students have the ability as well as the right to learn and to progress.
2) Each student’s educational program shall be developed through the individualized education program (IEP) process utilizing a team to identify and implement functional goals and objectives.
3) Each student’s educational program shall focus on maximizing student independence.
4) Each student shall participate in instructional activities that are positive, age-appropriate, and safe in inclusive settings whenever possible.
5) All students shall participate in instructional opportunities that assist them to participate as fully and independently as possible in their present and future environments.