The AVID Certification program provides an opportunity for sites to be recognized for AVID program implementation and success. The certification process includes an AVID Certification Report and Self Study Continuum to determine areas of strength and to identify next steps in a continued effort to fulfill the mission of AVID. There are four designations awarded in the certification program: affiliate, non-certified, certified, and demonstration. To begin the certification process, visit the AVID Center.
2014-2015 Certification Policy for AVID Sites
There are six possibilities for a school rating in the AVID certification process:
- Non-certified – a site that has never been certified and one or more of the 11 AVID Essentials are not implemented effectively and are rated Not AVID (Level 0).
- Affiliate – a site that was once “certified,” but now has one or more of the AVID eleven Essentials rated “Not AVID” (Level 0).
- Certified- all 11 AVID Essentials are implemented effectively and are rated Meets Certification Standards (Level 1) or higher.
- Highly Certified - a secondary site consistently meets Certification standards and has at least 6 Essentials rated at "Routine Use" (Level 2) and/or "Institutionalization" (Level 3).; has been certified for at least two consecutive years, implementing AVID for a minimum of 4 years.
- Certified and Eligible to Apply to Become an AVID Demonstration School-
All 11 AVID Essentials are implemented effectively for at least two consecutive years at the middle school level and at least three consecutive years at the high school level with at least one graduating class of at least twenty seniors, and are rated Routine Use (Level 2) or higher with no Indicator at “zero”. The site’s AVID District Director recommends the site to apply to be a demonstration site. The site sends a team to attend the demonstration strand in SI and completes the demonstration school application.
- Certified and Continuing as an AVID Demonstration School- All 11 Essentials are implemented effectively and are rated Routine Use (Level 2) or higher and the site was validated for a one to three year term as a “Demonstration School” by the AVID National Validation Team.
- Schoolwide Site of Distinction- All 11 AVID Essentials are implemented effectively and are rated as Routine Use (Level 2) or higher and sustains the AVID system. Evidence supports that all AVID's schoolwide metrics demonstrating schoolwide impact toward achieving college readiness for all students are in place and have been verified by AVID Center.
- AVID's schoolwide metrics include
- school has been implementing AVID a minimum of 4 years and certified consecutively for 2 years.
- School is currently certified.
- AVID Elective class enrollment reflects a minimum of 10% of overall student enrollment.
- Essential 9 Indicator 2 is rated a 2 or 3.
- Essential 9 Indicator 3 is rated a 2 or 3.
Application for Demonstration Schools
The AVID Essentials forming the basis for certification include the following:
- Student selection as per AVID profile
- Voluntary participation by students and staff
- Scheduling of the AVID elective class during the normal school day
- Enrollment in rigorous curriculum
- Rigorous writing curriculum in the AVID elective class
- Inquiry in the AVID elective class
- Collaboration in the AVID elective class
- Sufficient number of tutors trained in the tutorial strategies
- Monitoring of progress; completion of Data Collection System
- Identification of resources
- Site team participation